Re: Question regarding W3C validator and ASP.NET

From: David Dorward <david@dorward.me.uk>
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 14:16:21 +0100 (BST)
To: "Matt Salmon" <matt.salmon@mandogroup.com>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org
<quote who="Matt Salmon">

> So then, leaving aside semantics and pedantics, is anyone actually able
> to answer my question... why does wrapping the input in a div mean that
> the W3C validator ignores the id underscore rule?

It doesn't.

... but some more testing showed that that error isn't reported for any of
those three documents in the first place.

Some more poking shows that while the HTML 4.01 DTDs define the id
attribute as containing a NAME token. the XHTML 1.0 DTDs define it as
having an XML ID token, which can start with an underscore.

This is mentioned in the spec <http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#h-4.10> and in
Appendix C <http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#C_8> and in the XHTML media types
document <http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-media-types/#C_8>

--