Re: Problem Validating xhtml 1.1

Charlie Murder wrote:

> I would like to validate the document found at
> http://www.charliemurder.com/berthas/index.php
> as valid xhtml basic 1.1

Then why do you declare it as XHTML 1.1 Transitional? In practical terms,
XHTML 1.1 Basic is an exercise in futility, and so is XHTML 1.1 as a whole.
If you really need to be XML conformant for some good reason, use XHTML 1.0.

> but I keep on getting an error message
> reading :
> "The document located at
> http://www.charliemurder.com/berthas/index.php was tentatively
> checked as XHTML Basic 1.1.

That's rather confusing, though probably with good intentions. It's of no
use really. All this "tentatively" stuff is just a big confusion. It tries
to make validation easier than it can possibly be.

> I'm using
>
> <!DOCTYPE XHTML Basic 1.1 PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML Basic 1.1//EN"
> "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-basic/xhtml-basic11.dtd">

No, I see

when I view the source of your page.

> What is the correct DTD to use?

Technically, the one your syntax is supposed to conform to. In practice,
HTML 4.01 for new documents, mostly.

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/