Re: Problems in validating '<noscript>'

From: Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi>
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2009 10:21:05 +0300
To: "John Fairweather" <johnfairweather@ntlworld.com>, <www-validator@w3.org>
John Fairweather wrote:

> I'm trying to W3C validate the following code segment,

Validation, by definition, applies to documents, not snippets ("segments").
When you ask about a problem in validation, you should always post a URL of
the problem document, for this reason and many other reasons.

> but the
> validation says that '<noscript>' is an error

It's also useful to quote (e.g. using copy & paste) the exact error message
(though we can easily see it if you provide the URL).

If I feed your "code segment" to the W3C validator, it says essentially the
following:

Line 9, Column 6: document type does not allow element "BODY" here
Line 33, Column 7: end tag for "HTML" which is not finished

That's somewhat cryptic, admittedly (the real problem is the lack of <title>
element), but I don't see <noscript> mentioned there - do you? But here's my
guess: the error message you actually get is

document type does not allow element "NOSCRIPT" here; missing one of
"APPLET", "OBJECT", "MAP", "IFRAME", "BUTTON" start-tag

which would be caused by an attempt at putting a <noscript> element inside

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/