[ANN] Link Checker v4.4

From: olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 20:57:14 -0500
To: "www-validator@w3.org Community" <www-validator@w3.org>

Dear all,

I am very happy to announce that earlier today we have updated the W3C
Link Checker service to the very latest code base:
http://validator.w3.org/checklink

Earlier, while preparing the log of changes for this release, I was
amazed to realize that the link checker had not been updated for more
than two years, and as a result the changelog additions span an
amazing 400 lines! The main changes include:

- checking more elements and attributes, such as BLOCKQUOTE cite="",
    BODY background="", EMBED, etc
- Changes in the UI to make it match other validators more closely
- in HTML/cgi output, using javascript to show checklink status as it
happens
- added support for HTML5 links
- softer wording for broken link results
- Add non-robot developer mode
- many bug fixes and code cleanup
… and much more

If everything goes well, we'll be pushing the code as it is to CPAN
very soon. Thanks to some of the work made by Ville, this version
should finally be tons easier to install automatically from CPAN than
earlier versions. As soon as the new version is uploaded, a working
perl and the following command will give you a working (command-line
and CGI) link checker:
perl -MCPAN -e "install W3C::LinkChecker"

This new release would never have happened without the work and help
of developers like Ville Skyttä, Michael Ernst and Brett Bieber, and a
whole community contributing to development through bug reports and
suggestions. Keep up the great work!

olivier
--
olivier Thereaux - W3C Open Source Software : http://www.w3.org/Status