Re: [VE][74] Error message but no error.

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 02:12:53AM +0100, Ruud Uphoff wrote:

> Validating http://www.ruphoff.nl/1718eeuw.html
> Error [74]: "start tag for LI omitted, but its declaration does not
> permit this"

Odd, I don't get an error like that, just lots of complaints about the
frameset ... oh wait. You have one of those obnoxious JavaScripts that
tries to prevent people viewing the page outside of frames.

OK, JavaScript disabled and retesting...

> This error is nonsense in the code fragment below.

Unlikely. The W3C Markup Validator is a pretty mature piece of
software. It it relatively bug free, at least when it comes to it's
basic functionality.

> The LI tags are present.

Ah, well, there are li tags present, but are they right?

> It seems that the validator can not handle the style attribute.

It can.

> The style attribute hides the entire UL element

Only from display, not from the document.

> so the validator should either see the entire UR including all LI
> elements, or ignore the entire UL.

The validator sees the entire ul element.

> ---------------------------------------------- cut here
> -------------------------------
> <ul id="kids1" style="display: none">

The problem is on the line immediately before your cut.

# met Hendrikkie Homan.
# <ul>
# <ul id="kids41" style="display: none;">

You have a ul element. The only element allowed as a child of a ul
is an li, but you have another ul.

You probably want to remove line 129.

(Please direct responses to www-validator and not directly to me, thanks).

--
David Dorward
http://dorward.me.uk/