Re: checklink: ideas for next version

On Tuesday 16 December 2008, olivier Thereaux wrote:
> Hi Ville, Michael, all.

Hi, and sorry about the delay,

> Somewhere on my pile of “things I want to get done” there is a release
> of the link checker. Quite a few bugs have been fixed, and there was
> work on the UI, but I have been a little frustrated because some of
> the complaints about the link checker remained untouched.

Seconded, although I haven't personally been that frustrated about that bit :)

Anyway, I'm cutting a lot of your plan here with just saying it sounds fine to
me.  However, I think the overdue version 4.4 should really be released
before going wild with implementing the new plans in CVS (or alternatively,
do the new work on a branch).  I'm not aware of any release blockers at the
moment, do you remember any?

Regarding link checker future, I'd personally actually prefer
redesigning/rewriting much of the current code rather than continuing too
long with the current implementation.  The script is quite a monster already
and requires quite intimate knowledge to maintain/contribute to - cleaner
codebase and proper separation of concerns would make many things much easier
and could attract more contributors.  And perhaps while at it, consider
changing the implementation to e.g. Java or Python.  This is obviously quite
a bit of work to which I cannot currently commit too much time at the moment,
but I thought I'd throw it in just for some food for thought.