Validator does not properly check comments within <style> tag

From: andynic <andynic_nl@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 06:22:18 -0800 (PST)
To: www-validator@w3.org

I am a newibe at this stuff so please keep that in mind.
I am developing a simple HTML script.  In the file, I use the following construct:
/* Class definition for centering tables */
  margin-left:  5em;
  margin-right: 5em;
In one of the class definitions I had a comment line like this – note the incorrect closing characters:
/* comment /*
This typo played havoc with the script but the validator did not pick it up...  It told me I had no errors.
Thought you would want to know.
The heading in the script is:
I was using the validator at: http://validator.w3.org/#validate_by_upload
Kind Regards,