Validator Dev Watch: fuzzy matching for unknown elements/attributes

From: olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 13:11:37 -0500
To: www-validator Community <www-validator@w3.org>
Hello,

Part of my hacking last week on the markup validator involved setting
up "fuzzy matching" of unknown elements/attributes in order to have
the validator say:
“Line 12, Column 14: there is no attribute "crass". Maybe you meant
"class" or "classid"?”

The code is ready for testing on our development instance:
http://qa-dev.w3.org/wmvs/HEAD/

… and I made a little writeup about the ideas and implementation
details
http://www.w3.org/blog/systeam/2009/02/16/validator_fuzzy_match

Teaser: did you know that errors about unknown attributes/elements
(either because of typo, case or simply non standard elt/attr) is by
far the most common type of errors reported by the Markup Validator?

Comments and thoughts welcome here, or on the systeam blog. In
particular:
* What do you think of this feature? Would you have implemented it
differently?
* Any suggestion for a better way to word/present the suggested
correction for unknown element/attributes?
* Any thought on other small improvements to the validator which would
dramatically improve its usability?

Thanks,
olivier
--