Re: Validation Errors - what do teh columns and lines refer too

From: Michael Adams <linux_mike@paradise.net.nz>
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 07:00:12 +1200
To: www-validator@w3.org
On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 17:15:14 -0400 (EDT)
Came this utterance formulated by katie@deliverfreedom.com to my
mailbox:

> i am loving your service - I have learned a ton.  One thing that seems
> super basic, but I haven't been able to figure out in the FAQ and
> mailing list archieve is what the columns and lines reported with each
> error mean.
>
> I am working off a word press template and don't see columns or lines
> listed anywhere.

[snip]

> Example - Line 85, Column 8: document type does not allow element "br"
> here; assuming missing "li" start-tag

In the validator page there is an option under "More Options" to "Show
source":
http://validator.w3.org/#validate_by_uri+with_options

With this option ticked a full page listing showing the line numbers
appears at the bottom of the validator results page.

--
Michael

All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall
be well

 - Julian of Norwich 1342 - 1416