Re: [VE][108] -- Question about XHTML Validation

From: David Dorward <david@dorward.me.uk>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 10:12:19 +0100
Cc: www-validator@w3.org
To: Paul Lindseth <paul.lindseth@gmail.com>

On 22 Aug 2009, at 19:30, Paul Lindseth wrote:

> It related to the "target" attribute used with the <a> tag in order
> to have the link open in a new window -- this is the HTML I used:

Oh dear. Personally, I'd rather people didn't encourage people to use
W3Schools, they have far too many errors and examples of bad practice
for my liking. I'm none too fond of new windows foisted on users by
webpages either, they are annoying at best and accessibility barriers
at worst <http://diveintoaccessibility.org/day_16_not_opening_new_windows.html

> My document's DOCTYPE is Strict XHTML, but I did not think that the
> target attribute was deprecated -- any help would be greatly
> appreciated.

See http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/index/attributes.html

As with other frame related elements and attributes:

* Their use is discouraged
* They do not appear in Strict variants
* They are not deprecated

(Please direct responses to www-validator and not directly to me.
Thank-you)

--
David Dorward
http://dorward.me.uk