Re: [VE][108] Flash embed

From: Michael Adams <linux_mike@paradise.net.nz>
Date: Sat, 25 Apr 2009 22:53:15 +1200
To: www-validator@w3.org
On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 19:01:19 -0700 (PDT)
Came this utterance formulated by Jeremy Lupoli to my mailbox:

> Validating http://www.mayorsforkids.org/
> Error [108]: "there is no attribute X"
>
> I find it highly unusual that it won't validate Flash embedding.
> Unfortunately, <embed> is still required by many browsers.

I find it highly unusual that people still believe EMBED should be
rubber stamped by W3C when OBJECT has also been around for years.

Perhaps you should be approaching browser manufacturers for better
support of OBJECT instead of pushing their proprietary muck? The
internet was created open and i really hope it stays that way.

HTML 5 had a reasonable solution in the VIDEO and AUDIO tags until
proprietary companies tried to force proprietary encodings into it. Now
it is hamstrung by being watered down. Yes, i feel strongly about this.
http://www.w3.org/TR/html5/video.html
4.8.7.1
4.8.8.1

http://arstechnica.com/open-source/news/2007/08/firefox-gets-experimental-support-for-the-video-element.ars

--
Michael

All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall
be well

 - Julian of Norwich 1342 - 1416