Re: Charset or Encoding problem with validator

From: Toby A Inkster <tai@g5n.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2009 19:26:25 +0100
To: angelos@exevior.com, www-validator Community <www-validator@w3.org>
This seemed quite puzzling, but I think I've figured it out. Your
site seems to be sending the page double gzip encoded. In other
words, gzip compression is applied to keep bandwidth down (a Good
Thing) but then it is applied again. When the validator retrieves the
file it uncompresses one layer of encoding, but not the other so is
trying to validate binary gzip data.

You appear to be using Apache and PHP. Both of these pieces of
software offer gzip facilities, so perhaps you have switched both on
and are double-compressing the file because of that.

--
Toby A Inkster
<mailto:mail@tobyinkster.co.uk>