Re: name attribute in form tag does not error in HTML 4.01 Strict

From: Jens Brueckmann <jens.brueckmann@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 09:45:38 +0200
To: www-validator@w3.org
Cc: SCHLAK Robert <Robert.Schlak@alcatel-lucent.com>
2009/4/9 SCHLAK Robert <Robert.Schlak@alcatel-lucent.com>:
> I believe the validation for 'HTML 4.01 Strict' is missing a deprecated
> convention. From what I have read the 'name' attribute of the 'form' tag
> is deprecated for HTML 4.01 Strict, but allowed in Transitional. I do
> not get an error when using the name attribute.

Hi Robert,

the validator is right, the name attribute has not been deprecated in
HTML 4.01 Strict, see

  http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/interact/forms.html#h-17.3

"name = cdata [CI]
This attribute names the element so that it may be referred to from
style sheets or scripts. Note. This attribute has been included for
backwards compatibility. Applications should use the id attribute to
identify elements."

Cheers,

jens

--