Re: problem with upload leg of the Validator

Thanks for your email - my answers are inserted below

Etienne Miret wrote:

> Hello,
>
> After downloading your file, I’ve been able to validate it by upload
> without any problem.
>
> By chance, was the error you got “Line 1, Column 0: end of document in
> prolog.”?
YES (or something very similar)

> If so, it means the validator received an empty file and there
> was an error at some point of the uploading process itself. It could
> be
> due to a firewall, a broken browser, any security software or a bug in
> the validator itself.
>
> Does the problem always happens when you validate withe file upload?

No - prior to the reported incident I've always been very satisfied
with the operation of the Validator and I normally only use the upload
function.
But, at the time of the failure it was only the upload function that
didn't work properly, the URI function worked OK.

> Does it occurs with different browsers?

I was using Netscape 7.2 - and have done so for about 4 years. Didn't
try with MSIE7

However. I tried again about 5 hours later in the same day (using
Netscape) and upload worked satisfactorily. So, what ever the problem
was - it went away later in the day. Also, I had not rebooted my
machine since the failed attempt. So, I was pleasantly surprised!

I have just tried now to validate two different files from different
folders (and with different DOC statements) and they validated OK in
both cases.

> Have you changed anything in your software/hardware configuration
> since
> last time everything was OK?

Not that I know of. (But Windows updates and Symantic updates occur
almost randomly).
Thanks for your response - I'm happy for you to close this incident as
I can't reproduce it now. Also, I was able later in the day to
validate the updates I had been making.

--
Julian H Jones
Romsey, UK. Phone: +44 (0) 1794 514902 Email: jones2@f2s.com