Re: Centos 4 install for 0.8.3 validator

On Monday 10 November 2008, Andrei Doicin wrote:

> I'll try and give you some useful feedback. What happened is that,
> rightly or wrongly, I chased dozens upon dozens of dependencies like
> never before ("dependency hell", some people call it), that is to say
> more binary RPMs, source RPMs, and actual source compilations than I
> could mention, or ever  bothered to list.

For CentOS 4, this is probably the case - I'm not aware of any pre-packaged
versions of the validator or all its dependencies for it.  FWIW, for CentOS 5
it's probably pretty much the same, but the required rpms that aren't
available in the CentOS or Fedora EPEL repository for CentOS 5 (fewer than
for CentOS 4 I suppose) should be pretty much a "rpmbuild --rebuild" away.
(I doubt they'd rebuild as is for CentOS 4.)

> Otherwise, a very useful addition to your install doc would be to
> mention exactly where to enter environmental variables such as
> http_proxy (in case you are behind a firewall) - which in fact means you
> need to hack the actual  "check" perl code yourself, found in
> /usr/local/validator/cgi-bin.

Actually, that is not needed nor recommended.  The "correct" way to do specify
proxy as well as some other connectivity related settings is via SetEnv in
httpd.conf (or PassEnv if the variables are already set in the environment
where httpd is started).  I added some docs about this in CVS:

http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/validator/htdocs/docs/install.html.diff?r1=1.37&r2=1.38&f=h
http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/validator/httpd/conf/httpd.conf.diff?r1=1.40&r2=1.41&f=h