Re: span elements in script elements

From: David Dorward <david@dorward.me.uk>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 15:11:07 +0100
Cc: <www-validator@w3.org>
To: <david.fosberry@fosberry.com>

On 14 May 2008, at 10:39, David Fosberry wrote:
> Whilst validating www.fosberry.com/cgi/GuestBook.pl, I received
> error 64, about a <span> element “not allowed here“.
> I believe this is a bug in the validator.

It isn't.

See http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#h-4.8 while being aware of the
problems this causes if you serve your XHTML as text/html ( http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#C_4
  and http://www.webdevout.net/articles/beware-of-xhtml ).

>  I will of course attempt a work-around, by embedding the JavaScript
> in HTML comment markers (inside the <script> element), but it really
> should not be necessary.

User agents treating your code as XHTML will ignore the entire script
(since it is commented out). XHTML and HTML are different.

David Dorward