Re: Validator charset

From: Frank Ellermann <nobody@xyzzy.claranet.de>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 11:22:12 +0100
To: www-validator@w3.org

Henri Sivonen wrote:

> It's the RFC 3023-compliant interpretation

Quoting RFC 2026:

| Implementors should treat Proposed Standards as immature
| specifications.  It is desirable to implement them in
| order to gain experience and to validate, test, and
| clarify the specification.  However, since the content
| of Proposed Standards may be changed if problems are
| found or better solutions are identified, deploying
| implementations of such standards into a
| disruption-sensitive environment is not recommended.

The W3C validator is a disruption-sensitive environment,
it is "the mother of disruption-sensitive environments"
wrt Web standards.

> RFC 3023 needs to be repealed.

Maybe propose its promotion to "draft standard", I'm not
sure if the T-shirt helps, but it is an idea.

The real problem here is the "charset divination" for the
purpose of validating HTML, SGML, XHTML, and XML document
types defined in a DTD.  Hypothetical HTTP validators are
a different issue.  Browsers also need to work with other
protocols and URI schemes for these document types.

 Frank