Re: Validator charset

From: olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 10:32:47 -0400
Cc: www-validator@w3.org
To: "Frank Ellermann" <hmdmhdfmhdjmzdtjmzdtzktdkztdjz@gmail.com>

Hi Frank,

On Mar 11, 2008, at 05:41 , Frank Ellermann wrote:
>> http://www.w3.org/QA/2008/03/html-charset.html
>
> Nice, comment sent.  I'm always interested when folks claim
> to know the "rough consensus".

To be entirely fair, I don't claim that. I wrote "rough consensus"
because "the consensus as it seems to have happened, based on the
stories I have heard and the eventual result" would be too long :)

>> AFAIK the w3c markup validator is not following the
>> recommendation of trying a iso-8859-1 fallback (as is the
>> rule, kinda, for text/*) because... it's just a bad one.
>
> Indeed, go and tell the 2616bis folks.  At the moment the
> state is apparently "if there's no consensus to fix it, we
> keep it as is" <sigh />

Do you have a pointer to discussions on the http-wg list?

I would agree that the current recommendation of the HTTP spec is
broken, and I suspect everyone agrees with that. I also suspect that
finding a solution that works while following certain constraints
(backward compatibility?) must be a nasty headache.

> correct me if I have it wrong, I think the validator never
> really looks at the <?xml encoding="..." to figure out what
> the encoding is, it only verifies that this matches what it
> has "divined" elsewhere, e.g., based on lying HTTP servers.

I think the validator does look at the xml declaration as a source.
See e.g the following test case:
http://qa-dev.w3.org/wmvs/HEAD/dev/tests/charset-xmldecl.xhtml

--
olivier