Re: [VE][65] Possibly a parser bug?

Steve Attewell wrote:

> Validating http://www.ffw.com/default.aspx
> Error [65]: "document type does not allow element X here; missing one
> of Y start-tag"

The document contains an <input> element as a child of <form>, which is
not allowed in the declared doctype XHTML 1.0 Strict.

> I'm getting an error on this code:
>
> <form method="post" action="/Default.aspx" id="aspnetForm">
>         <input type="hidden" name="__VIEWSTATE" id="__VIEWSTATE"

Well the URL you specified contains a document that does _not_ contain
the <div> markup you mention here (and which should fix the problem).

> However the code seems perfectly valid. I note that there is a "/" at
> the start of the form value and that when this is removed, the error
> no longer occurs.

A "/" has no special meaning inside a quoted attribute value. I guess
there were some syntax errors that caused this behavior, like an
unquoted attribute value that needs to be quoted, or an unterminated
quoted string.

Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/