Re: [VE][65] Possibly a parser bug?

From: Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 15:28:31 +0200
To: "Steve Attewell" <steve.attewell@noko.co.uk>, <www-validator@w3.org>

Steve Attewell wrote:

> Validating http://www.ffw.com/default.aspx
> Error [65]: "document type does not allow element X here; missing one
> of Y start-tag"

The document contains an <input> element as a child of <form>, which is
not allowed in the declared doctype XHTML 1.0 Strict.

> I'm getting an error on this code:
>
> <form method="post" action="/Default.aspx" id="aspnetForm">
>         <input type="hidden" name="__VIEWSTATE" id="__VIEWSTATE"

Well the URL you specified contains a document that does _not_ contain
the <div> markup you mention here (and which should fix the problem).

> However the code seems perfectly valid. I note that there is a "/" at
> the start of the form value and that when this is removed, the error
> no longer occurs.

A "/" has no special meaning inside a quoted attribute value. I guess
there were some syntax errors that caused this behavior, like an
unquoted attribute value that needs to be quoted, or an unterminated
quoted string.

Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/