Re: [ANN] tool for checking HTML compatibility guidelines in XHTML

Hi Andreas,

On 23-Jun-08, at 11:19 AM, Andreas Prilop wrote:
>> Which HTML compatibility guideline relates to this construct?
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#h-4.8
> http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#C_4

Thanks. I note that the current (in progress) editor's draft of the
next guidelines think out loud about whether that guideline still
makes sense.

http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/2008/ED-xhtmlmime-20080423/#compatGuidelines

> N.B.
> Such pseudo-comments shall never be used - neither in HTML nor
> in XHTML. They were necessary for Netscape 2 (two!) only,
> but not even for Netscape 3 (three).
> http://www.htmlhelp.com/reference/css/style-html.html#embedding

Indeed. So, does that make the practice bad (and worthy of warning/
info) or simply useless?

--
olivier