Re: referer

From: Nick Kew <nick@webthing.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 02:56:59 +0100
To: Rick Merrill <rickmerrill@comcast.net>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org

On 24 Jul 2008, at 15:19, Rick Merrill wrote:

> I include the validator Icon on my pages that pass validation
> and the link works fine when posted on my web site, but it
> does not work if I open the web page from a file on my own computer,
> saying
>>
>> No Referer header found!

So you (or your sysop, network administrator, or something) have
disabled the referer header.

> http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=referer
>
> Has anyone built HTML code that detects no-referer and
> instead uses the download page or
>>
>> Validate by File Upload
> http://validator.w3.org/#validate_by_upload

HTML code doesn't do anything.  It can't "detect no-referer"
any more than, say, ASCII code can.  Sure, the no-referer
page can give you other options - doesn't it already?
But there's no possible way to validate the referring page
if your privacy settings withhold that information.

--
Nick Kew