Re: Error: 406 Not Acceptable

From: Nick Kew <nick@webthing.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 2008 23:44:53 +0100
To: www-validator@w3.org

On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 08:34:25 +0000 (UTC)
Maninder Pal Singh <mpsinghk@gmail.com> wrote:

> Richard Porter <ricp <at> minijem.plus.com> writes:
>

> > I'm told by the host that the 406 and 500 errors are caused by
> > restrictions imposed by mod_security, which I take to be the
> > ModSecurity open source firewall. Is this a known problem? What
> > settings should they use to ensure that ModSecurity works with the
> > W3C link checker? What is the link checker doing that won't get
> > past ModSecurity?

That depends entirely on what mod_security configuration[1] is causing
it to reject the validator.  Without the configuration, we couldn't
possibly say.

> Hi
>
> I am also facing the same problem. When I use the w3c link checker
> for one of my site, It gives error 406 Not Acceptable.

That's your server saying Not Acceptable.  Again, your sysop would
be the person to talk to about why.

[1] if it is indeed mod_security.  A misconfigured mod_negotiation
or an application could also be likely candidates.

--
Nick Kew

http://www.apachetutor.org/