Re: [VE][76] This message is preceded by nine useless messages

From: Michael Adams <linux_mike@paradise.net.nz>
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2008 18:29:53 +1200
To: www-validator@w3.org

On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 00:46:28 -0400
R.W. Crowl wrote:

> > Validating http://www.jtbusa.com/en/default.asp
> > Error [76]: "element X undefined"
> My problem is not with this error message; it seems to be adequate to
> the task.
> Rather my problem is with the wasted effort and information with the
> preceding nine error messages that provide no actionable information
> because the problem lies with the element reported in this message. Of
> course there's no attribute X for an element that doesn't exist! Don't
> waste my time.

The page refuses to validate at all (non UTF-8 characters). When i
changed the encoding to ISO-8859-1 there were 89 errors.

If you wish to discuss this further, you probably need to break it down
to a small test page with just the specific error involved, or fix all
the other errors on the page in question, then come back.

All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall
be well

 - Julian of Norwich 1342 - 1416