Re: [VE][76] This message is preceded by nine useless messages

From: Michael Adams <linux_mike@paradise.net.nz>
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2008 18:29:53 +1200
To: www-validator@w3.org

On Tue, 01 Jul 2008 00:46:28 -0400
R.W. Crowl wrote:

> > Validating http://www.jtbusa.com/en/default.asp
> > Error [76]: "element X undefined"
>
> My problem is not with this error message; it seems to be adequate to
> the task.
>
> Rather my problem is with the wasted effort and information with the
> preceding nine error messages that provide no actionable information
> because the problem lies with the element reported in this message. Of
> course there's no attribute X for an element that doesn't exist! Don't
> waste my time.

The page refuses to validate at all (non UTF-8 characters). When i
changed the encoding to ISO-8859-1 there were 89 errors.

If you wish to discuss this further, you probably need to break it down
to a small test page with just the specific error involved, or fix all
the other errors on the page in question, then come back.

--
Michael

All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall
be well

 - Julian of Norwich 1342 - 1416