Re: How can I make valid for 3W Marck up Validation

From: Joseph Plazo <joseph@xtrememind.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 01:34:50 -0800
To: <www-validator@w3.org>
CC:

>FrontPage is dreadful.

Yes, I'm quite aware of that. I love FP for its WYSIWG features as well as the fact I've been using FP since 1998. I did try to create a few subdomains at http://www.xtrememind.com using the latest incarnation, MS ExpressionWeb. Guess what? The validator at http://validator.w3.org/ points out an armada of errors. That's from a 2007 product that didn't come cheap.

Dreamweaver churns out my pages with fewer glitches but this software isn't as friendly.

>Microsoft have a reputation for being unable to write software that
>generates standards compliant HTML.

Hmmm... will there be any dramatic indexing problems on sites that can't be fully w3c compliant?
(for as long as Im using FP, I believe I'll be sorely noncompliant.)

Even single html pages generated by FP (like my half page http://www.jobcentralasia.com) yields glaring errors at validator.w3.org like this:

-----------------------------------

The following missing or conflicting information caused the validator to perform guesswork prior to validation. If the guess or fallback is incorrect, it may make validation results entirely incoherent. It is highly recommended to check these potential issues, and, if necessary, fix them and re-validate the document.

 No Character Encoding Found! Falling back to UTF-8.

None of the standards sources gave any information on the character encoding labeling for this document. Without encoding information it is impossible to reliably validate the document. As a fallback solution, the "UTF-8" encoding was used to read the content and attempt to perform the validation, but this is likely to fail for all non-trivial documents.

Read the FAQ entry on character encoding  for more details and pointers on how to fix this problem with your document.

Sorry, I am unable to validate this document because on line 131 it contained one or more bytes that I cannot interpret as utf-8 (in other words, the bytes found are not valid values in the specified Character Encoding). Please check both the content of the file and the character encoding indication.

The error was: utf8 "\xA9" does not map to Unicode ----------------------------------

>A text editor, some knowledge of HTML, and (assuming you are stuck
>using ftp) ncftp (with a batch file based on ncftpput so you can have
>one click publishing).

Thanks for the advice, unfortunately going back to text editors is like me going back to Lotus 1-2-3 or MS DOS v5.0. It's not WYSIWYG.

Kindly point out graphically dazzling and wonderfully easy html editors that churn out compliant html and I'll be forever a good friend of your.

Warmly,
Joey

Exceed Global LLC
     www.exceedglobal.co.uk