Re: character "<" is the first character of a delimiter but occurred as data.

From: Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2008 20:39:13 +0200
To: "Stifu" <stifu@free.fr>, <www-validator@w3.org>

Stifu wrote:

> One page gives a validation error, but I don't think it should.

Stop thinking and read the specifications instead.

Or just read the explanations after the error message.

> Isn't this a bug in the validator?

No.

> This use of the lower than sign seems correct to me.

Yet it isn't.

You might also stop using XHTML, at least as long as you know the basics
of XML. Using "<" followed by a space is valid (though not
recommendable) in HTML 4.01 but not in any XML-based language.

Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/