Re: checklink: ideas for next version

From: olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 08:35:55 -0500
Cc: "www-validator Community" <www-validator@w3.org>, "Ville Skyttä" <ville.skytta@iki.fi>, "Michael Ernst" <mernst@alum.mit.edu>
To: Brett Bieber <brett.bieber@gmail.com>

Hi Brett,

On 16-Dec-08, at 12:51 PM, Brett Bieber wrote:
>> * keep most of the current checklink architecture, including the
>> ability to use as standalone, commandline tool
>> * during link checking process, use DOM scripting to populate a
>> table listing the links that are being checked, and the results, in
>> real time.
>> * keep the summary output in "plain" HTML, accessible and all.
>> * the real time display of links being checked should help fight
>> the perceived slowness (stuff happens on the page)
>> [...]
>> Sounds easy enough. Worth a try? Anyone interested in working on
>> this with me?
>
> Excellent. Yes... I'd be willing to help on this.

Wonderful! I recall you still have CVS access to the code repository,
right?
http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/perl/modules/W3C/LinkChecker/

The code already embeds some javascript – an experiment I did a while
ago – but we could certainly get it out to its own file if it gets too
big.
http://qa-dev.w3.org/wlc/checklink

Would you be more interested in looking first into the perl side, or
the js side?

--
olivier