Re: HTML Validator HTTP Accept

Am 11.12.2008 um 21:48 schrieb David Dorward:

> If the content is generated, then whatever is generating it can be set
> to generate differently marked up content depending on the URI.
> Converting XHTML to HTML is relatively trivial with XSLT or libtidy.

Have you ever seen a content management system or blog system out
there, which is able to do that?
If that would be a veritable and acceptable solution, why hasn't it
wide spread?
Imagine, what disk space explosion would be generated on the different
webservers, if that would come into real scenario. And all that only
to provide two different content types (HTML and XHTML) and to please
one particular web browser, which is not capable of the recommended
XHTML Mimetype (Internet Explorer)? Can you guess, that the expense
and costs of your "solution" might not in due proportion to what is
aimed?

> ... but frankly - XHTML provides little advantage in most cases. So
> unless there was a real benefit to it, I'd just generate HTML from the
> outset and not worry about content negotiation.

This is a declaration of death for XHTML at all and the mimetype
application/xhtml+xml. It would be so, if one would follow your advice.

> Umm. Err. Why are you imposing such ridiculous constraints?
>
> If you want to do content negotiation then:

Please no theoretical Blahblah: please give me a real usable code
example in apache configuration code that can be used in real world
needs, how to solve the situation WITHOUT doubling the content
physically, WITHOUT symlinking the content files on the webserver,
WITHOUT content negotiation (which needs a minimum of two physical
files) and WITHOUT relying on accept headers and WITHOUT using
mod_rewrite in combination with accept headers. Your proposed Quality
Values (for example qs=0.999 .xhtml) do only work, if the content does
exist multiple times. But this multiple existance of so far identical
web content and only differing in file extension is unacceptable and
unreachable for the most scenarios out there or might be.
ONE example for real world use, that fits the needs, please. Only one
simple example that can be chosen in real world and that fits real
world needs.
Please specify or link to configuration code for Apache to show a
solution.

Thanks,
Sierk

--