Re: HTML Validator HTTP Accept

From: David Dorward <david@dorward.me.uk>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 10:13:33 +0000
To: Aristotelis Mikropoulos <amikrop@gmail.com>
CC: www-validator@w3.org

Aristotelis Mikropoulos wrote:
> I would like to express my opinion about an HTML Validator matter.
> I believe that when it attempts to check the validity of a webpage,
> after the user
> has provided it the webpage's URL, the Validator should sent an "HTTP
> Accept"
> header to the server that hosts the webpage, which header will contain the
> "application/xhtml+xml" MIME Type, in order to let the server know
> that it also accepts
> such a content type.
Dealing with content negotiation is a pain - since you need to test all
the outputs under their relevant DTDs.

Just saying "accept: application/xhtml+xml, etc, etc" will just lead to
HTML versions not being tested.

Work is under way to provide a way to handle this, but it is currently
experimental.

http://validator.w3.org/docs/users.html#option-accept

(Please direct responses to the www-validator mailing list, not directly
to me, thanks)

--
David Dorward