Re: Regression: validator confusing HTML and XML

From: Sierk Bornemann <sierkb@gmx.de>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 13:02:29 +0200
Cc: www-validator@w3.org, HadleyG@web-wise-wizard.com
To: Nick Kew <nick@webthing.com>

Am 29.08.2008 um 10:07 schrieb Nick Kew:

> Someone just emailed me confused as to why Valet rejects
> his page that passes Validator.
> A quick look confirms my suspicion that he's illegally
> serving XHTML1.1 as text/html.  And it seems the W3
> validator no longer even complains of that before
> ignoring the response headers and parsing as XML.
> Since his page is valid XML, he gets no hint at all
> that anything is wrong!
> I don't know when this happened, since I only keep
> a half an eye on either validator or valet these
> days, but this looks like a serious regression.

As far as I understand, the W3C Markup Validator has changed its
behaviour from release version 0.8.3 on, with respect to the following
W3C document:
http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/2008/ED-xhtmlmime-20080618 , especially the

See also the notes in the respective recent W3C QA's blog entry on http://www.w3.org/QA/2008/08/markup_validator_updated.html

Sierk Bornemann