Regression: validator confusing HTML and XML

From: Nick Kew <nick@webthing.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 09:07:55 +0100
To: www-validator@w3.org
Cc: HadleyG@web-wise-wizard.com

Someone just emailed me confused as to why Valet rejects
his page that passes Validator.

A quick look confirms my suspicion that he's illegally
serving XHTML1.1 as text/html.  And it seems the W3
validator no longer even complains of that before
ignoring the response headers and parsing as XML.
Since his page is valid XML, he gets no hint at all
that anything is wrong!

I don't know when this happened, since I only keep
a half an eye on either validator or valet these
days, but this looks like a serious regression.

--
Nick Kew