What is the correct way to do content negotiation?

From: Azu <azumao@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 11:16:21 -1000
To: www-validator@w3.org
Hi, if this has been asked before or if this is the wrong place to ask,
sorry.

Basically, what I'm wandering is, how am I supposed to do content
negotiation? At first I thought that I was supposed to use the HTTP_ACCEPT
header, but when I use your validator script at validator.w3.org to try to
test my website in different content types (by using the doctype option), it
doesn't change anything in the HTTP_ACCEPT header. Where is the information
located? Please help.. the requests look exactly the same to me.. =(

P.S. on a completely different topic; how do I change the options in your
validator script without it re-downloading my web page? Like for example if
I want to enable verbose output, how do I have it do this without it
downloading the page from my server again?