Re: XHTML Basic updated

From: olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 11:13:48 -0400
Cc: Shane McCarron <shane@aptest.com>, XHTML WG <public-xhtml2@w3.org>
To: www-validator Community <www-validator@w3.org>

On 4-Aug-08, at 10:04 AM, olivier Thereaux wrote:
> * install squid (HTTP cache) on the validator servers
> * setup squid to *only* cache DTDs, schemas, entities, modules (but
> cache them very aggressively)
> * add an option in the validator config to use caching proxy OR
> catalog
>  (the latter will be default option)

That was assuming that the two software components likely to fetch
DTDs or Schemas actually supported the use of a caching proxy. A bit
more research later, I could not find authoritative info on whether
libxml2 does, but as far as OpenSP is concerned, the news are not good:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1748536&group_id=2115&atid=352115

This unfortunately makes the idea of using caching proxies instead of
catalogs/entity resolvers moot. The (thin, I admit) hope is that
adding proxy support seems to be on a possible roadmap - at least
according to this 2003 thread:
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=1041881661.1314.8.camel%40kerberos
So maybe if someone wants to give it a shot...

In the meantime, the validator release is still scheduled for Friday,
but without proxy support.

--
olivier