Re: Fallback to UTF-8

On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 13:11:14 +0300
Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

> Michael Adams wrote:
>
> > I found the ECMA tie-in to ISO 8859-1 Latin-1, dated March 85 and
> > June 86. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8859-1#History
>
> References to ECMA standards are irrelevant when discussing "Latin 1"
> in the Internet context, since the authority on encoding names for
> Internet use is IANA, and the IANA registery does not name any
> ECMA-based _name_ for ISO-8859-1, even though it cites "ECMA registry"
> as the source.
>
> > Though not the definitive authority,
>
> Wikipedia is not an authority of any kind, and it's surely just
> confusing in many confused issues like this.
>
> > There
> > are two encodings: "ISO 8859-1" and "ISO-8859-1" note the hyphen
> > versus space after ISO.
>
> That's nonsense. Registered encoding names have no spaces. When "ISO
> 8859-1" is used, it refers to the _standard_ (proper) defining the
> encoding. It might be a good idea to accept, as error recovery, it as
> meaning "ISO-8859-1" as a charset parameter value, but it would still
> be an error.

Found this, I now understand that where Wikipedia makes the
differentiation was when the standard was revised in 1998 which
outdated the 1987 version. Presumably these are what Wikipedia tries to
state are two seperate encodings.
http://www.iso.org/iso/iso_catalogue/catalogue_tc/catalogue_detail.htm?csnumber=28245

I therefore believe as Jukka said that ECMA codings no longer apply
here. As the ECMA encoding was the proposal that got accepted to ISO
circa 1987, and has been since revised.

--
Michael

All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall
be well

 - Julian of Norwich 1342 - 1416