RE: please add Accept header to http request containing application/xhtml+xml

As someone who has been a long lurker here, I feel it might be time to
jump in finally :)

> I think people are reading too much into this, it's just an Accept
> header, it's not a hack. Other high quality validators have an Accept
> header [1]. I don't know why the idea sounds so
> novel/evil/unreasonable
> etc...

As folks have said, it is completely valid (in fact, mentioned exactly
in the spec) to not send one, right? You simply don't need one unless
you are trying to add request-specific behavior. If you did need one, I
would argue the correct one would be */*. The only reason to do
otherwise is if you're working around a bad browser (which is what I
think people were saying).

+1 for adding all or "*/*" as the accept header ;)

-1 for adding a specific one ;)

If I write a tutorial on XHTML to the spec, I don't see what the problem
is. They should use the correct charset and follow other specifications
too or they might as well not worry about using XHTML to start with.
XHTML is practically tangential to this, as it would affect other
content types too, right?

Martin Smith, Systems Developer
martins@bebr.ufl.edu
Bureau of Economic and Business Research
University of Florida
(352) 392-0171 Ext. 221