Re: please add Accept header to http request containing application/xhtml+xml

From: David Dorward <david@dorward.me.uk>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 17:35:45 +0100
To: www-validator@w3.org

On 21 Apr 2008, at 17:17, Alexandre Alapetite wrote:
> Etienne Miret wrote:
>> However, in the real-world some UA won't send a correct accept
>> header,
>> and those UA are typically unable to handle XHTML, so you *need*
>> hacks.
>> There is no way around it. You need some dirty hack if you want to
>> support IE.
> Internet Explorer (4, 5, 6, 7, 8) does send an Accept header, and it
> is not empty.

Yes, it claims it accepts a number of things and ends with */*, which
is a claim (with q=1) that it accepts everything, including

> But the whole concept of doing pseudo content negotiation with 4 lines
> of poor PHP, or with a rewrite rule hack in a .htaccess is just not
> good enough. In PHP, it is possible to implement a full standard
> content negotiation mechanism, but it is not possible using a simple
> rewrite rule in a .htaccess.

I know someone who wrote a decent implementation. They've said they'll
try to get the source published this evening, so I'll pass that along
in case anyone is interested.

David Dorward