Re: please add Accept header to http request containing application/xhtml+xml

On 21 Apr 2008, at 14:23, Frank Ellermann wrote:

> NAK:  Warnings about issues users might be unable to change and
> not necessarily interested to validate are excessively annoying.
>
> One of the HTTP servers I use claims that any text/html it sends
> is Latin 1.  For whatever reasons, it is lying, and I want to
> validate an ASCII or windows-1252 page, not the braindead HTTP
> server.  It starts to get surreal when a validator says that it
> will ignore windows-1252 treating the input as Latin-1, and
> then emits "non-SGML char" warnings for octet 0x80 (hi Nikita).

Since the HTTP header is authoritative, and some user agents won't
error correct that problem (thus misrendering the document), then that
is a useful warning which should result in the problem being fixed by
either changing the server or changing the document (to use entities
if the characters you want to use are not available in Latin-1).

--
David Dorward
http://dorward.me.uk/