[VE][323] Explanatory text suggestion

From: Jørgen Elgaard Larsen <jel@elgaard.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 20:43:17 +0200
To: www-validator@w3.org

Validating http://helsinki.solfisk.dk/bad2.html
Error [323] DTD did not contain element declaration for document type name

I suggest an explanatory text like this:

The DTD must declare the top element of your document. For example, if
the top element of your document is <html>, the DTD must declare the
element "html", and your DOCTYPE declaration must begin with
"<!DOCTYPE html"

If possible, add a link to how to make a proper DTD.

I got the [323] error after having tried HTMLtidy on

In the document on that URL, I had forgot the top element name of the
DTD. So HTML tidy suggested:

   <!DOCTYPE public PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"

Which of course led to the [323] error.

By the way, the error on the http://helsinki.solfisk.dk/bad1.html was
[39]. You could easily use the same explanatory text as above for that
error too.

Kind regards, and thanks for a great service,

Jørgen Elgaard Larsen