checklink: Link for re-validating should be possible

From: Otto Stolz <Otto.Stolz@uni-konstanz.de>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 15:05:17 +0200
To: www-validator@w3.org
Dear checklink developers,

in my WWW pages, i usually include links to the w3c validators,
so I (or any reader) can easily validate, and re-validate, the
respective page, as recommended for both the Markup Validator
<http://validator.w3.org/docs/help.html#icon>, and the CSS
validator (appearing after a successful validation).

In contrast, the Link Checker does not recommend that useful
link, and, even worse, it balks on it when checking links:
> http://validator.w3.org/check/?uri=http://www...&outline=
>     What to do: The link is forbidden! This needs fixing.
>     Usual suspects: a missing index.html or Overview.html,
>     or a missing ACL.
>     Response status code: 403

I suggest that the Link Checker should

- not balk on a link for re-validation (i. e., you should insert
   “allow from 128.30.52.13” and “allow from 128.30.52.49”, in
   the online Linkchecker’s Apache configuration),

- recommend a link for re-validation, as the Markup, and CSS,
   validators do,

- provide a suitable icon to adorn that link with
   (cf. attached draft).

Thank you,
   Otto Stolz

vlinks.gif