Re: Ignoring meta http-equiv for application/xhtml+xml

From: Karl Dubost <karl@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 11:13:22 +0900
Cc: "W3C Validator Community" <www-validator@w3.org>
To: Nikita The Spider The Spider <nikitathespider@gmail.com>

Le 7 avr. 2008 à 10:15, Nikita The Spider The Spider a écrit :
> I'm trying to understand the validator's logic for ignoring the
> http-equiv charset declaration in documents delivered as
> application/xhtml+xml.
>
> I get an encoding of UTF-8 when validating this file:
> http://NikitaTheSpider.com/boneyard/temp/meta-test-xhtml-as-xml.xhtml

Hmm interesting. The file is not XML conformant. UTF-8 or UTF-16 are
assumed for XML files, if you use a different encoding, you have to
use an XML declaration such as:
in this case.

In your file, this doesn't seem to be correct:

The syntax for HTTP headers is
     Content-Type   = "Content-Type" ":" media-type

Section 14.17
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2616.txt

It should be
          content="application/xhtml+xml;charset=ISO-8859-5" />

I wonder if it's the way the validator process the file. There is no
valid HTTP headers, so Maybe a content sniffing is going on to try to
guess the encoding or the validator assumes that it is utf-8 because
no valid http headers were given.

--
Karl Dubost - W3C
http://www.w3.org/QA/