[VE][122] using # in the usemap attribute

From: Rado Faletic <Rado.Faletic@anu.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 12:28:40 +1000
To: www-validator@w3.org

Validating http://www.mobility.org.au/
Error [122]: "character X is not allowed in the value of attribute Y"

When using client-side maps, the validator is saying that use of "#" in
the "usemap" attribute is invalid. Removing the "#" doesn't work with
IE7 and Safari. I can't find anything in the specifications that says I
cannot use "#" in this attribute. Even the examples for XHTML2 use it:
http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml2/mod-csImgMap.html#s_csImgMapmodule

Similarly, the name attribute in the map element has been depreciated.
However, by not using this attribute the map doesn't work on Firefox 2
and Safari.

And, if I turn my XHTML into something that the validator likes, ie I
remove both the name attribute and the "#" in the usemap attribute, then
the map fails to work on all three browsers.

(I use IE7, Firefox 2 and Safari for testing)