Re: English Flag

From: Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 16:21:17 +0300 (EEST)
To: Glynn Williams <glynn@wowdesignsolutions.com>
cc: www-validator@w3.org

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007, Glynn Williams wrote:

> Hi Sorry to be so pedantic about something so little, especially as you're
> trying to help, but you have a flag named wrong in your resources area:
>
> http://www.w3.org/Icons/Flags/english.tiff

I understand your concern, but I wonder how it relates to the validator. I
see no connection except in the sense that the validator documentation
refers to the icon repository http://www.w3.org/Icons/

Actually _most_ of the flags there have URLs formed from _language_ names,
like french.tiff (though this might construed as using the adjective
French, to refer to the French flag). I bet this relates to some old
and poor practice of using country flags to denote languages. The
Last-Modified dates are from 1994 (except for finland.gif which is from
1993 and contains a very wrong picture of the flag of Finland).

> Could you please rename the flag as united_kingdom.tiff please, pretty
> please?

I think the files need to be removed, not renamed, but I have no idea to
whom one should complain about them. (There is no shortage of flag images
on the Web, and I cannot imagine what purpose those generally poor icons
could serve. If they are referred to on some W3C pages, then it's time to
detect and fix this.)