Re: [VE][73] end tag for "FORM" which is not finished.

From: Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi>
Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2007 00:21:35 +0300 (EEST)
To: Brenton Strine <Brenton.Strine@citrix.com>
cc: www-validator@w3.org

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007, Brenton Strine wrote:

> The validator doesn't like my empty form:

It has no likes or dislikes. It only answers the question you asked it to
solve, even though you might not have realized you asked it: does this
document conform to the Document Type Definition that it declares to
conform to?

> <form method="post" name="name" action="action"></form>

Apparently you are using a Document Type Definition that does not allow
such an element.

> What is the valid way to do it?

Using a Transitional DTD. The Strict DTDs require that a form element
contain at least one block element or script element. You can make the
markup valid by putting <div></div> inside the form, but then it's not an
empty form any more, even though there's no _visible_ content.