Re: proposal to have sequential / grouped messages in soap output

olivier Thereaux wrote:

> On Oct 17, 2007, at 14:39 , Chris. wrote:
>> I firmly believe that we need to do away with errorlist and
>> warninglist in favor of a general messagelist
> Please re-read my original message: this is *precisely* what I was
> suggesting for the sequential output.
Sorry, for not being more clear.  I realized that this is what you said,
but I was responding to Karim -- who's response reverted back to
errorlist and messagelist.

> I also read interesting ideas for a "real" grouped output. That's great.
>
> But that means we have a lot of choices:
>
> 1) Should the SOAP output have a real sequential mode, including
> error, warnings and info messages as they happen?
> I believe "yes"
>
> 2) Should the SOAP output do away with its current format (grouping
> errors together, warnings together)?
> This is unsure. On the one hand, it's not great, on the other hand,
> killing it would break existing implementations
In a previous post, I noted that messages can reference the previous or
message is of a different type (error, warning, or info) and is,
currently stored in another group.  How do you reliably find that
related message which may reference a wholly different line number, etc?

I believe the *only* acceptable solution that works with the current
messages, is one that indicates the relative order of the messages no
matter what their type -- otherwise I'm giving my users explanations
that misleads them.  I can think of ways of accomplishing this while
keeping the existing structure, but these are basically hacks or
duplicating information

> 3) Should the SOAP output have a "real" grouped output, with all
> messages of the same type grouped together?
> Not necessarily. People building apps on top of the API can make the
> grouping themselves. That said it's easy to make it happen in the
> validator's templates.
>
> The "imperfect but backward compatible" solution would be the one I
> suggested in the first message of this thread.
As I mention above, I'm not sure that this is possible if you want to
keep the sequential ordering of all, intermixed messages.

> A better, possibly more disruptive solution would be to
> * deprecate the current soap output (keeping it as a default for the
> next release)
> * build a new version (from scratch if necessary, although reusing the
> work done in the w3c validator, as well as Henri's[1], would be a good
> idea) of the API
> * find a parameter to trigger one or the other
Obviously I've voiced my vote for #3 (though I 'm not sure that I
understand #2).

> [1] http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/Validator.nu_XML_Output
Woah!  I need to look into this....