Re: XHTML 1.1 validator rejects xml:space attributes

The XHTML 2 Working Group suggests that you try very hard to NOT include
our DTDs directly in your distribution, instead referring to the
authoritative locations for them.  That way, when we make fixes like
these, it will just work for your users.

Having said that, yes - the XHTML 1.1 DTD has been updated in a working
draft that will soon go to PER status.  That draft fixes the problem
with xml:space and a couple of other minor issues.  It is 100% backward
compatible with the previous version.  The validator service should use
our DTD in the MarkUp/DTD space.