Re: SOAP API - Warnings & Errors

From: olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 12:48:21 +0900
Cc: www-validator@w3.org
To: Chris. <chris.forummail@swankinnovations.com>

Hi Chris,

On Oct 10, 2007, at 05:08 , Chris. wrote:
> I've been developing an app based on the documentation at:
> http://validator.w3.org/docs/api.html
>
> This document states:
> "As seen as the example above, the children of the error element,
> but also
> the warning element are line, col and message, defined below:"
>
> This seems to imply that all 'error' and 'warning' elements will
> include the
> children: 'line', 'col', and 'message'.  It then goes on "below" to
> show
> 'messageid', 'explanation', and 'source' too.
>
> In my tests, however, I haven't been able to produce warnings with
> anything
> except 'message' and 'messageid'.  I'd sure like to have the
> explanation
> text that goes with the warnings -- is it available?
>
> Or do warnings only get a subset of the children of error?
>
> Or do different warnings (and perhaps different errors) yield
> different
> combinations of children (wouldn't that be fun)?

Unlike messages related to a specific part of the document's markup,
some warnings are related to the document as a whole (encoding,
doctype, etc) and won't have the line, col info.

I guess the API documentation is not clear in this regard. Would you
have a suggestion of a better way to put it?

Thank you
--
olivier