Re: my error

From: Jukka K. Korpela <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2007 18:52:19 +0300
To: "sander wijnbergen" <sandervanwijnbergen@gmail.com>, <www-validator@w3.org>

sander wijnbergen wrote:

> dear w3.org,

The www-validator list (which you posted to) is a public discussion list
hosted by the W3C, and most people in the list are not W3C staff.

> i got a validation report whit this error
>
> character "<" invalid: only delimiter ">", delimiter "[", "CDATA",
> "NDATA", "SDATA" and parameter separators allowed.

The posting instructions for the list suggest that a URL of the problem
document be included in the message.

In this case, the problem can be guessed relatively well, though. You
probably have an extraneous "<" character in the document type declaration.
For example, the construct

<"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">

triggers this error message, due to the extraneous "<" at the start of the
second line. So check for such occurrences of "<" and remove them, and post
the URL if problems remain.

Actually the error message I got was _slightly_ different from yours, so my
guess was probably not perfect.

Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/