Re: Message -- No Character Encoding Found! Falling back to UTF-8.

Dear Jana,

On Oct 8, 2007, at 00:43 , Jana wrote:

> I got the message:
>
> ======
>  No Character Encoding Found! Falling back to UTF-8.
> [snip]
> ======
>
> I then followed the links which talked about ISO's and content type
> BUT NOT
> how to put them into my document.

The link "few tips on how to do this" will have examples.

The best way to declare the encoding of your web pages is through the
configuration of your server:
http://www.w3.org/International/O-HTTP-charset

Alternatively, you can indeed put that information in a meta tag:
content="text/html; charset=utf-8">

> but when I added it to my document, it went from being tentatively
> approved
> to failing.

The example you found was XHTML. It ended with /> which is specific
to XHTML.
For HTML 4.01, use the construct I pasted above.

Regards,
--
olivier