RDF Validator Bug: No nodeElement Validation

From: Sean B. Palmer <sean@miscoranda.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 19:40:32 +0000
To: "Jeremy Carroll" <jjc@hpl.hp.com>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org

'ello Jeremy, or EricP, or whoever's actually responsible for this,

The RDF Validator doesn't accept documents that start with
nodeElement. For example:

<rdf:Description rdf:about="http://www.w3.org/"
   xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/">
 <dc:title>World Wide Web Consortium</dc:title>
</rdf:Description>

The specification says that's fine as long as a) it's an
application/rdf+xml document or, b) you know via some mechanism that
what you've got is RDF. If you're pasting it into the RDF Validator
then presumably b) applies; if you're using the URI interface, then a)
might also apply but I guess it's moot unless you were to make
nodeElement support be an option only. Perhaps the www-validator folks
have some experience to share about that.

Any chance of adding this, please?

(I note that CWM doesn't support nodeElement as documentRoot either. I
wonder how many other RDF utilities don't have that? Up until very
recently the only RDF/XML parser I wrote only conformed to the PR
version of the spec, and I think nodeElement as root was added at the
last minute before REC...)

--
Sean B. Palmer, http://inamidst.com/sbp/