Something about the caching feature in 0.9.x

From: Karim A. <directeur@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 15:47:33 +0100
To: "W3C Validator Community" <www-validator@w3.org>

Hi Folks,

I read here: http://validator.w3.org/todo.html
that in the 0.9.x series you'll start using Last-Modified
to cache validation results and request again only
if-modified-since.

I'm very interested in that since the release of
our humble project http://xhtml-css.com
and I struggle with some say chaching "standards".
Not all servers provide "Last-Modified", some provide
"etag", other servers nothing and some others both![1]

In the roadmap I read: "Start caching validation results
locally and doing an If-Modified-Since..."

Will you fetch the url content? or just check for page
change (with HEAD)? How would you store such
meta-data about urls' "evolution in time" ?
I mean, where would you store information
such "Last-Modified" or "etag" ?

http://xhtml-css.com uses a "fixed TTL cache", it's
a mean between two cases: very dynamic websites
and really static pages.
The best, of course, will be to use Last-Modified
and etag, but I'm not sure how reliable they are.

[1]: http://www.intertwingly.net/blog/2006/11/22/Detecting-Not-Modified-Reliably

Karim
--
http://xhtml-css.com