Re: [VE][73] Add Subject Here: Validating http://www.infomanica.com/ Error [73]: "end tag for X which is not finished"

From: Olivier Thereaux <ot@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2007 01:51:25 +0900
To: Ferdinand Steneker <f.steneker@kpnplanet.nl>
Cc: www-validator@w3.org

On Mon, Nov 05, 2007, Ferdinand Steneker wrote:

> Because I am NOT an anglo-saxon, I will give you my opinion in plain
> dutch: the machine generated prose you gave me in response to the
> document linked with the URL in question, is in my very own brown eyes
> bare nonsense.

The validation response does indeed assume a minimal knowledge of HTML,
and although we are trying to make validation more user-friendly, it can
be confusing at times. Any constructive suggestion you could provide, to
make the response more useful to you?

My suggestion:
* look at problems in sequence. I think most of the issue comes from the
fact that your document does not have a doctype declared. Because this
is missing, the validator tries to validate your document according to a
default document type, which is not, by default, html 4.01 frameset.

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Frameset//EN"
 "http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224/frameset.dtd">
(add this at the top of your document)

If you declared that document to be html 4.01 frameset, it would
validate.

> The reason is that the name of my company is strictly copyrighted by
> international law.

What does this have to do with validation of a web page?

regards,
--
olivier